Sunday, November 30, 2008

Miss Arlene's wish

It has been several weeks since my last post, and there has been much happening in my life that had nothing to do with Barn Quilts. A great deal of my mental energy has been focused elsewhere, so now I will try to play catch-up the next few days. Looking at the date of my last post, and one of my more recent Barn Quilt pictures is a good place to start.

Watauga - Baumgardner's Barn


The image above is the Baumgarner's barn, found in the Mabel Community of Watauga County, NC. My wife and I were riding bikes a few weeks ago along Old Hwy 421 when we came across this sight. I have since found out that these recently hung Quilt Squares were designed by the seniors at the Western Watauga Community Center, and painted by over 30 members of the community and visitors. It is reported that having these quilts painted and hung on the barn was one of Miss Arlene Baumgardner's final wishes.


... and yes, those are Christmas Trees growing behind the barn.

No comments: