Wednesday, July 29, 2009

So, I don't have all the answers...

Last week I had the pleasure of meeting educator, turned author and historian, Suzi Parron. Many of you have read her blog (americanquilttrail). Her name may become as ubiquitous as Donna Sue Groves when speaking of Quilt Barns, Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail. It is comforting to know that Suzi and Donna Sue have teamed up to create a book that will both describe the impetus of this arts movement, and focus on the stories that are the lives behind the quilt squares flowering across our hinterlands.

Today, Suzi took the time to introduce us to a wonderful pair of You Tube journalist. See what she says, and then go to: thehardestyear.com and A Patchwork of Hope (the story of Donna Sue Groves).

Suzi Parron is interested in capturing the stories... and the sense of community, family, respect and love that these images portray. She is also a pretty astute study of human nature. She asked me two questions that I have not fully been able to answer. What was my compelling interest ? and what may happen in the future months that could bring this diverse collection of farmers and quilters, artist and art lovers, chambers, committees and associations under some sort of unifying umbrella ?

1 comment:

Suzi Parron said...

Bruce,

I thought I responded to you yesterday but see that I did not--or it didn't post. As always, I thank you for your kind words and for recognizing the importance of my project. The coming years shall be interesting!

All the best,

Suzi